Saturday, May 2, 2009

Smart Things

"They're a veteran team. That's why they're the defending world champs."

-Vinny Del Negro, Chicago Bulls coach speaking of the Boston Celtics after the Celtics beat the Bulls in Game 7 of their first-round playoff series.

Now, I know that this was said in a press conference, and Vinny was on the spot. But still. Vinny, the Celtics are not the defending champs because they have older players. They are the defending champions because they won the championship last year. There is a difference, and I would hope that, as a professional basketball coach, you can understand what it is.

2 comments:

Cindi Lynn said...

Wait, I'm trying to think.

UncleRick said...

Did Vinny mean the converse? Or were those the sneakers the Celtics were wearing? I think Vinny is just confused, with a last name like his I imagine life has been kind of confusing for Vinny.